I had a chance to try out Pure Fitness in Quarry Bay last week as a 7-day trial (which they so nicely shortened to 3 days just for me since I was previously a member of Langham Place). Still it was a nice way to squeeze 3 workouts into my first weeks of work.
The Pure Fitness opened a few months ago, replacing the old Fitness First at PCCW Tower. It has a dedicated lift that goes up to the 5th floor, which is quite quick to access. I managed to do 1 evening visit, 1 Circuit Blitz class and 1 lunch hour visit.
The gym is spread out over two floors — reception, changerooms, cardio and lounge area (plus Nood) on the top and downstairs, there is the group fitness studio, cycling studio, more weights, boxing area, stretching area and turf workout area.
Here are some pictures of the gym:
It was pretty chilled out when I visited in the evening, but I quickly remembered why I didn’t like Pure — when you walk down the stairs towards the PT (personal trainers) area, there’s always a group of them staring you down like fresh meat. Definitely not as bad as California though… (some of them are kinda cute)! 😉
It’s also quite crowded during lunch time, when all the office workers in Taikoo seem to be at the gym — on my lunchtime visit it was still possible to get a cardio machine but you needed to wait at least 5 minutes for one to free up.
Things I liked:
- Cool turf area with gymnastics equipment, including rings and a beam, plus lots of kettle bells to swing around
- Dedicated stretching area with mats
- Huge (women’s) change rooms with lots of vanity stations and showers
- High-tech TV screens on all cardio machines
- Jacob’s ladder, airdyne bikes, and many rowers available
- Clean and new, and close to work
Things I didn’t like:
- Too crowded during lunch hour
- Intimidating PTs
- Ugly workout clothes provided (okay so you don’t have to wear it so I shouldn’t complain, but what’s with those ugly stiff sport socks!?)
- Not enough toilets in the women’s change room (just 5?)
- Mass feel, impersonal
I haven’t decided if I’ll join yet as I’m still tied up with another gym in Sheung Wan till February 2017 :p but Pure Fitness have quoted me something like HK$8xx per month for 12 months for just one location. They also offer six month memberships at around HK$9xx per month.
More info at www.pure-fitness.com.