Going meat-free in Hong Kong just got even more convenient, with the news that KFC has launched two spanking new plant-based products – their New Era Nuggets and New Era Burger – in partnership with Green Monday.
While KFC doesn’t have the best reputation for animal welfare (having earned the nickname “Kentucky Fried Cruelty” by animal rights groups including PETA for many years), they have made efforts in recent years to stop sourcing chickens that have been brought up in horrific factory-farmed conditions.
Another thing to note is that the New Era burger and nuggets are fried in the same oil as the rest of KFC’s products (aka. chicken), so they are not vegan or vegetarian-friendly. Still, we hope that this ‘New Era’ of plant-based products at KFC Hong Kong will encourage more meat-eaters to go plant-based (at least once or twice) and consider where their meat actually comes from.
New Era Nuggets
The New Era Nuggets (made by Alpha Foods) each contain 12 grams of non-GMO plant-based protein, and are free from artificial hormones and cholesterol. Served with BBQ sauce and fried to be golden-crispy on the outside but still juicy and tender within, KFC reckons they’re just as satisfying as their classic nuggets.
Go plant-based: Order a five-piece box of nuggets for HK$29, or opt for a combo meal with criss-cut fries and a medium soft drink for HK$39.
New Era Burger
Meanwhile, the New Era Burger features a plant-based patty by Gardein, made from a combination of pea protein, organic grains, soy and wheat. Free from cholesterol and saturated fat, the patties are baked before being sandwiched between two slices of Italian focaccia bread, sliced cheese, salad dressing, BBQ sauce, fresh lettuce, tomatoes, and a very special ingredient for that all-important crunch… tortilla chips!
Go plant-based: The New Era burger is available à la carte for HK$49, or as a combo meal with criss-cut fries and a medium soft drink for HK$59.
KFC’s New Era series has just launched in Hong Kong and is available after 11am at the following KFC locations in Hong Kong:
Hong Kong Island
- Unit A of Shops 42-68, G/F, Admiralty Centre, 18 Harcourt Road, Admiralty
- 1/F, Unicorn Trade Centre, 127-131 Des Voeux Road Central, Central
- Shops 4 & 5 on G/F and Shops A & B on 1/F, 112 Johnston Road, Wan Chai
- Shop Nos. 2A-2, 2/F, Sun Hung Kai Centre, 30 Harbour Road, Wan Chai
- Flat A1 on G/F, 1/F & 2/F., East South Building, 479 & 481 Hennessy Road, 29 Percival Street, Causeway Bay
- Shop No. 101, 1/F, Stanley Plaza, 23 Carmel Road, Stanley
- Shop A, G/F & 1/F, 2-4 Cameron Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
- Shop B3, Treasure World, Site 11, Whampoa Garden, Hung Hom
- Shop OT G19, G/F, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui
- Shop No. L2-1, Level 2, apm, Millennium City 5, 418 Kwun Tong Road, Kwun Tong
- Portion of G/F & 1/F, Mong Kok Building, 546-548 Nathan Road, Mong Kok
- Shop Nos. G38-G39, Ground Floor, Olympian City 2
- Shop Nos. 130-131, Level 1, MOKO, 193 Prince Edward Road West, Mong Kok
- Shop 7 on G/F & 1/F, Wing Light Building, 68-76 Castle Peak Road, Yuen Long
- Shop Unit 301, Level 3, Maritime Square, 33 Tsing King Road, Tsing Yi
- Shop Units G61-62, Popcorn II, 9 Tong Chun Street, Tseung Kwan O
- Shop Nos. 26C, 26D & 27, Level 3, Shatin Centre, Shatin
- Shop Nos. 2107 on Level 2 of MOSTown, No. 18 On Luk Street, Shatin
- Shop Nos. G02-G03, G05 & G28-G31, G/F, Citywalk 2, 18 Yeung Uk Road, Tsuen Wan